Dear Ruskoka Camp Volunteers,
A small but mighty group tackled the first work weekend in 2010! Thanks to Nika, Michelle, Victor, Kira, Henry, Luba, Misha, Jake, Katusha, Sergei, Lera, Petya, Victor, and Artyem for great team work and effort. Most of the work was focused on clearing fallen trees and branches after the winter. With Victor Popov and Artyem chainsaw ready, many trees and large branches/small branches/twigs were chopped up and cleared, stacked or burned at the bonfire pit. This took up most of the weekend!
Some other tasks that were completed included:
Putting the chapel back in order (after floor tiles were laid)
Moving canoes from the collapsed rack
Grading the driveway
Putting up Private Property signs in various places
Scrubbing and washing the house kitchen floor
Cleaning inside windows and doors of house kitchen
Fixing the drain pump in basement
Clearing the creek and a beaver damn
Preparing excellent meals including a lovely Easter dinner meal complete with Kulich, Pascha and colorful Easter eggs.
A fun time was had by all and everyone is looking forward to the upcoming work weekends.
The next work weekend is only one week away , on May 1st and 2nd, 2010 ! Join us for more fun camp projects, great meals, bon fires and camaraderie.
See you at Ruskoka on May 1st, 2010.
Some of the projects we plan to do over the next several work weekends:
– clean yellow trailer and burn paper/cardboard
– check the gate at Colony Rd.
– cut/clean trees in the boys camp
– fix the white canoe (remove parts from old canoe)
– check damaged Coleman canoes
– build new canoe rack
– fix floating raft
– pick up and assemble two new canoes from Bracebridge (plus paddles)
– organize the office, fill cabinets (medical supplies)
– order and install new bathroom window
– replace caulking in the house shower
– install toilet in house basement near furnace
– assemble and install new water treatment system in pump room (shock well)
– start clearing out the pump room (order garbage bin)
– move compressor, form and pour concrete floor
– clean up the camp kitchen and the pavilion (after new roof construction)
– install and connect the chandelier
– wash the slate floor (twice) and seal (twice) with masonry sealer
– clean up camp bathroom
– get the water system working
– paint the camp bathroom service corridor floor
– (future – layout water/electricity/gas for future laundry)
– (future – install electrical outlets in the laundry room)
– dig and lay a cable from the bathroom to the garage
– clean up and organize the garage
– clean up debris and branches around the arts cabin
– clear property around Arts Cabin for new archery range
– grade the tire ruts at the entrance
– sweep the arts cabin
– setup with tables/chairs/shelves
– cook incredible, delicious meals for all the volunteers